Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trim a face

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
Hi,
I want to trim this profil without creating a new sketch and cut extrude. I now I could use the move face feature, but in fact that I would select the oblique face, it wont be precise... is there an other way/feature I didnt see?

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    @Axel_Kollmenter
    You could use the split command with a plane or mate.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    edited July 2022
    @Axel_Kollmenter
    You could use the split command with a plane or mate.
    Or just use a mate connector as an input to the split to skip creating a plane or sketch.
    A "replace face" with an offset should also work.

Sorry, my mind read sketch where you said "mate". I find I rarely create planes in Onshape when in many cases you can just use a mate connector as the input for a feature.
    I also always chuckle when I see an example or answer that includes creating a plane to place a sketch (like on the end of a line). Clearly "old habits" from other CAD systems!
  • Options
    Ok thanks for your answers. So there is no feature like the move face feature but in a vertical direction, not the oblique way.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Ok thanks for your answers. So there is no feature like the move face feature but in a vertical direction, not the oblique way.
    Didn't realize you wan ted to keep the angle, use the move face but use the "translate" (instead of "offset") option from the dropdown to achieve this.

The split feature with mate connector would also let you realign the MC to be parallel to the angled face (or any other angle) but that would be more work
  • Options

The final lenght should be 345mm

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    @Axel_Kollmenter

Not sure what it's called in German but here it is:

And here's an example:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9eb6fafc8bc223165a3cb5f6/w/e03d9e774b5862665d172916/e/7fbdc1d6d5ef25e67904083e

Edit: you can even be more explicit about the final length using the "up to entity" with offset:

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    If you want it to be 345 mm why is not so then, did you use Frame feature to design these part,s, if so something went wrong with the positioning of the profile.

• Options
    If you want it to be 345 mm why is not so then, did you use Frame feature to design these part,s, if so something went wrong with the positioning of the profile.

I created the profile, copied the longer part, and the transformed it to the right side. then I used the boolean operation to join both parts. But in fact that I copied the longer profil, the profil on the right is too long.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    @dirk_van_der_vaart I did not use the Framefeature. Havent checked these tutorials yet.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks buddy!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter