Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

VIEW SIMPLIFICATION

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
What the ... does "Simplification threshold: features below this value will be simplified" mean?  And why does it seem any time I attempt to change this to simplify my view, nothing appears to happen other than I have to wait 5 years for the drawing to apparently rebuild itself?  What is "this value" that the little tool tip is referring to?  Basically what I often want to do but don't have time to experiment with my drawing reloading seeming endlessly, is make a small view that looks like a black blob due to all the excess detail, not look like a black blob.

Best Answer

• mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
    Answer ✓
    It always references whole features. So I assume there is something in the feature that is higher than the threshold.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI

Answers

This feature allows users to simplify the geometry shown in the drawing by setting a threshold below which features will be hidden.

Enter a number in the length units of the drawing to indicate that any feature smaller than the value will be simplified within the view. If whole parts are smaller than the threshold value, those parts will be missing from the view. This is useful for removing excessive details not needed for drawing purposes (for example, a large number of very small features or components).
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Thanks @mfalkensteiner
    I didn't notice the little units symbol on the absolute setting.  I am still not seeing anything happening when changing the setting.  I have even tried setting this to 2IN and still details that are 0.11IN apart remain in the drawing view.  I certain there is something really obvious I'm not understanding here.  Check this little .gif.

Answer ✓
    It always references whole features. So I assume there is something in the feature that is higher than the threshold.
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    OK.  I see.  That makes this quite a bit less useful for me.  It would be great if the simplification was calculated on the actual drawing view edges themselves.  I thought this feature was going to be auto hiding edges if they were less then the value entered distance apart.
  • Richard_InvRichard_Inv Member Posts: 9 PRO
    OK.  I see.  That makes this quite a bit less useful for me.  It would be great if the simplification was calculated on the actual drawing view edges themselves.  I thought this feature was going to be auto hiding edges if they were less then the value entered distance apart.
    This was my assumption too. Similar to the way threshold works in a lot of other software; if these lines/verts are closer than x, then do y. In this case, y being hide the lines on the selected part(s).