Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to bend a flat extrusion around a curve

saber_surfersaber_surfer Member Posts: 6
I made a Championship style belt plate, but it is a flat extrusion. I am unable to figure out how to bend or Flex it so that it would have the curved shape like it should have on a championship belt.
Is there a way to do that? bend an existing extrusion model across an arc or something?

Answers

• Options
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    So for my current file with everything built, how do I achieve this,
    For starters, this document should be broken down into more than one sketch

Then you could wrap each of the sketches SEPARATELY and thicken them SEPARATELY. Using this technique, it made it far easier for me to thicken the two separate entities of the buckle I made

In any CAD program, make good effort to keep your sketches from becoming overly involved. In other words, instead of trying to do it all on one layer, break it out into multiple layers. In the case of Onshape, break it out into multiple sketches

in your case, I probably would’ve used — I don’t know — maybe six or seven different sketches. Maybe more

Now, there’s another aspect of this that I’m not crazy about. And that is, that  it appears that you were snapping to or going coincident to some underlying vector file — which I can’t see.

Myself, I’m not crazy about having all these coincident points to an underlying file. I’ll trace over the underlying. But I don’t want to make everything coincident to that because — for one example — you could see that without having that underlying vector  — I get nothing but a bunch of overdefined constraints when I first open up your document. And that’s not great to work with

And the last point I’ll bring up for the moment is — I’m not a big fan of using a lot of very closely spaced points to make up a curve WHEN TRACING over something

For instance, instead of making a curve this way

I’d rather make a curve this way

Again — this is a matter of making things more manageable or easier to edit, smoother — all that kind of stuff

• Options
    Indeed, I used a hand drawing in the background as reference, didn't realize it would attach itself to it. And this was my first time using Onshape or any CAD program for that matter so am not too familiar with the functions and such, Just fumbling my way through it to try and make something for a Wrestling fan, my Dads 70th birthday ;D
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    @steve_shubin
    That,s helping, a very nice present!!!!!
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @dirk_van_der_vaart

Thanks Dirk !
    I really appreciate it

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    @saber_surfer
    You are on a holiday?
  • Options
    Oh, wow. That's is very nicely done indeed, thank you so much @steve_shubin