Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why no STL viewer when importing STL files?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
STL is such a basic format and its huge with the maker crowd.
Its just triangles. Nothing fancy. No normals or tristrips or trifans or trisets.
Any plans for at least a viewer for the imported files?

Comments

• Options
    jared_reabow434jared_reabow434 Member Posts: 1
    I  have to say, i am shocked so many professional CAD tools out there do not support one of the largest community used file formats.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't there several free or low cost tools that support STL file creation and revision?  

I don't have much experience with STL files, but have been using a 3D printer for the past year or so and that only understands STL files.  My designs and interests are mostly mechanical in nature and I'm most productive when doing all the design and revisions in 3D CAD software, like OnShape or GeoMagic Design, and then exporting the final product to STL with that file used solely for 3D printing the design itself.  My attempts at editing an STL file have been largely unsuccessful and very frustrating.
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    I  have to say, i am shocked so many professional CAD tools out there do not support one of the largest community used file formats.
    Why? pretty much all CAD tools EXPORT Stl fine. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Exactly as @kevin_quigley implies: STL is a format for final output.

If people are using it for other things, that's like baking a pie or freezing a batch of ice cream when you haven't finished adding the constituents: it irreversibly and irretrievably degrades the result. 
  • Options
    daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Aren't there several free or low cost tools that support STL file creation and revision?  

I don't have much experience with STL files, but have been using a 3D printer for the past year or so and that only understands STL files.  My designs and interests are mostly mechanical in nature and I'm most productive when doing all the design and revisions in 3D CAD software, like OnShape or GeoMagic Design, and then exporting the final product to STL with that file used solely for 3D printing the design itself.  My attempts at editing an STL file have been largely unsuccessful and very frustrating.

Hello Michael, 

We use Blender which can load and edit .STL files. 

• Options
    I should mention that I don't think Blender is an adequate tool for mechanical designs. So if you wanted to view and edit a stl file of a mechanical object, I'm not sure Blender would be the right tool. In that case, I'm not sure what you would use. 
  • Options
    I should mention that I don't think Blender is an adequate tool for mechanical designs. So if you wanted to view and edit a stl file of a mechanical object, I'm not sure Blender would be the right tool. In that case, I'm not sure what you would use. 
    I downloaded Blender but it and I didn't get along too well.  To be fair I didn't spend much time with it.  As you say, it really isn't suited for a mechanical design part. though I've seen it used for such:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:328569

It seems like it would be far easier to design that clock in Onshape.  And probably easier to design the object in your screen shot in Blender.  Matching the tool to the job is good practice.
  • Options
    Blender is a popular tool but it has a huge learning curve. I wouldn't know how you could make something like that clock on Blender. Its like using Photoshop to write an essay. You can do it I guess, if you really wanted to. 

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .... I wouldn't know how you could make something like that clock on Blender. Its like using Photoshop to write an essay. You can do it I guess, if you really wanted to. 

Vivid analogy!
  • Options
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
  • Options
    .... I wouldn't know how you could make something like that clock on Blender. Its like using Photoshop to write an essay. You can do it I guess, if you really wanted to. 

Vivid analogy!
    I always admire people who have the time to hack technology, make it do something that its not intended to do. Must be nice!