Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assign unique part numbers to different instances of configured parts in assemblies.

I am working on a large project with hundreds of parts and I have decided to break it up into sub-assemblies in separate documents. I have also created a document for "Global Parts" parts used in multiple sub-assemblies. One of the "Global Parts" is a guide rail for a conveyor, an off the shelf part that gets cut to length. I decided to make this a configured part driven by a configuration variable. I then import this part into one of my sub-assemblies and drive its length with a configuration variable in the assembly. My issue is that the part properties remain the same as what I set up in the configured part, I need the part name and number to update to something that makes sense for that assembly, I cant have two parts with different lengths share a part number. Also, because I am pulling from one document into another I need to version the document with the configured rail and cannot easily go and change the part properties without creating a new version.

I set up an example document to show the problem. I hope what I'm describing makes sense.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2956d0b5e8ba2adfafa2f7d8/w/2871b7fe0e9e1395294edeed/e/4ea5a67c0392af95336aebe6

Is there a way to prompt the user to enter part properties when importing a part into an assembly? Or perhaps a way to drive part properties with logic?
I am also open to any suggestions for alternate approaches to this problem, I'm sure there are solutions I'm not thinking of or not aware exist.

Thank you all.

Answers

• Options
    caden_armstrongcaden_armstrong Member, User Group Leader Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Within a configured part, you can set a part number (or any property) for a specific configuration.
    I dont think you can do it when the part is configured at the assembly level, it needs to be done in the part document for each configuration.
    If you have a length driving variable, you need to make a row for each length.

It might be possible to automate with featurescript, setting the part number property with a configurable variable.
    Its definitely possible to automate it (from an assembly) with the API.

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    One good shortcut for doing this is to bring up the assembly BOM and edit the properties of your configured part from there. This will automatically apply the changes you make there to the specific configuration (i.e. it will add a row to the Configured properties in the part).