Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Combine the positon of a hole with another part

lars_wegnerlars_wegner Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I want to combine the position of hole with another part, So I don't have to care about measuring and sketches.
Here is an example of what I mean. It's a linear bearing imported via step and a plate. Of course I need some holes in the plate for mounting. I cant find a solution for hours now, any help would be welcome

Many thanks
Lars

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @lars_wegner
    You could derive the linear bearing into the same part studio in which you are creating the mount plate, then use a constraint to relate the mounting hole positions to the holes in the bearing.
  • lars_wegnerlars_wegner Member Posts: 2
    I'm probably an the wrong way, I don know

What I did.
    • derive the linear bearing into part studio with mount plate
    • sketch on the "top layer" of the bearing
    • extrude
    • next sketch on the new part
    • use the "use funktion" to project the position of the holes
    • the concentric constraint on the hole in the bearing with the postion in the sketch
    • hole feature
    • perfekt !

now I use the transform function th move the bearing and  that damn hole stays where it is ...

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with your methods, @lars_wegner
    Just a small detail  to complete your understanding: the feature list is like a historical sequence: anything you add cannot affect anything further up the list.
    So you just need to drag the "Transform" up the list so it happens before the creation of the hole.