Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can anyone advise me how to make the hole go over the bend line in sheetmetal?

I have a job that requires creating a model that would have a rectangular cutout on the face and going over the bend line on to the flange. 

I was able to cheat into finishing the sheetmetal model and then extruding part of the cutout to close around the hole. I need to export the sheetmetal model for laser cutting and I can't do that.

There's gotta be a way to create a random shape hole regardless of the fold line position.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6791cbb742bb773fa884c3ad/w/944bf356d2704048ec0bd58e/e/a780cde3b53b41b9eee1f3cd?configuration=Hinge_cutout_height=0.1+meter;List_F9xYEp4IEm2tp0=Default;List_ZhO6JLmIPXX8vb=Default;Wall_thick=0.049+meter;flange=0.015+meter;frame_height=2.1+meter;hinge_spacing=0.65+meter;top_hinge=0.14+meter&renderMode=0&uiState=6316b684f7541d7d239dfc19

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Remove the "notches" from the initial shape and create them with a cut after your create the flange (although the flange needs to use the "outer" condition for this to work with the current sketch).

or alternatively create add the material in the flat pattern.

See opiton1 and option2 studios:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d561f717e1af221d1befbf83/w/4ccfc68c845f4f0e38ce4c94/e/da2231028fa3ce5f905348a9
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, from a DFM perspective it's better to have at least a small offset between the bend and the cut vs having the cut be coincident with the bend line. Bends in CAD are always just an approximation, so it's good to give the sheet metal shop a little leeway.