Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New to design, need advise on how to proceed

bretbret Member Posts: 9
I've begun a design, and I want a part to pivot on another part, Since this is going to be 3dprinted I was trying to envision how to make it stay in place when rotated, I haven't added a pin point yet. Here is the design so far https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6ba604b5c1b54616b6b652d0/w/20d92742a79f458baa42a6f5

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't tell @bret_3 , but was this a design question, a how to question with regards to Onshape, or both?
  • Options
    Design question mostly. I'm still finding my way with Onshape in general
  • Options
    Mainly a design question
  • Options
    You need to add a mate connector, on the axis of the desired rotation, to each part, then import the part studio to an assembly, fix the stationary part by mating it to the origin, and use a revolute mate between the connectors.
    Wow, ok not sure how to do that. I'll check the tutorials

• Options
    Got it. I worked it out I think at least to my satisfaction thus Far. Now I need to figure the best way to prepare it for 3d prining as "as assembled" is not printable with FDM printer, I'm guessing another assembly that I then export to STL
  • Options
    Part is still public if anyone would like to look and advise
  • Options
    @bret
    You are making things needlessly hard for yourself by using direct editing commands (like "Move Face")

A delightful attribute of parametric modellers like Onshape is that, having modelled something, you can go back whenever you want, and as often as you like, and change how big something (anything!) is -- and where it is -- simply by clicking on dimensions and editing them.

----

I don't quite understand why, in your Assembly 1, each part appears twice. 
    Also, you have added the mate connectors in that assembly, whereas they should ideally be added in the Part Studio, and the parent parts should be Part 1 and Part 3 respectively. 

If you do that, and then mate the connectors in the assembly, Part 3 will drag with the mouse in the same way as the real life part 
    (you can even define limits so that it stops realistically at both ends of the swing)
    Thanks, Great input. I've come from a CAD system where I was accustomed to "pulling" faces and such. Very different here, and I'm trying to wrap my head around working in this.