Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet Metal Hole Distortion Bend Relief

Kody_HabeckKody_Habeck Member Posts: 9
Is there a way to add a relief cut to sheet metal parts for where holes are located near a bend to prevent them from distorting during the bending process?  Another application for this is to add a relief on a bend to allow the bending process to be done without a brake press.

Example of what I am looking to do:

Example of bend reliefs to allow for hand bending of a part:

Comments

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange Wow! I did not know it was possible to sketch on the flat pattern. Is that new? Or should I have completed the entire sheetmetal training module 6 months ago instead of stopping about 1/4 of the way through? ha ha.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure when but it has been here a while. It also comes in handy if you need geometry to etch, such as text, you could place the sketch on the flat pattern and create a .dxf with sketch shown. You can also display this in the drawings by showing the sketch there as well. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange Wow! I did not know it was possible to sketch on the flat pattern. Is that new? Or should I have completed the entire sheetmetal training module 6 months ago instead of stopping about 1/4 of the way through? ha ha.
    I've been using Onhsape for 2 years now and sketching on the flat was always there for me so not very new...
    I've definitely found that completing the training modules seems like a good idea in general!
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    I've been using Onhsape for 2 years now and sketching on the flat was always there for me so not very new...
    I've definitely found that completing the training modules seems like a good idea in general!

I hear ya! I did most of them for 3 weeks straight when I bought OS, but haven't revisited in a year. I need to go back and do more now.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519