Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I make perfect gear assembly of the Rack & Pinion system?

ismat_jahanismat_jahan Member Posts: 25
Hello there,
I have been trying to make a perfect connection among several gears through the rack & pinion mechanism. I got the basic animation by slider & revolution mate but I can not make the gear teeth to be matched nicely with other gears & the rack. Its bugging me a lot. Please help...! with suggestions or example.

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 545 PRO
    @ismat_jahan
    I would suggest you research gear design, action, and principles. While you could make the simple setup work the linear pattern setup that you have would never function in real life. You have gears fighting against gears. As far as getting the teeth to match it's a bit of a fiddly process but make the starting position correct and then make sure your gear relations are as accurate as possible and it should work. However, you will not be able to do it on that patterned assembly.