Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

.dxf import - Closed entity not creating a face to extrude

Eric_92Eric_92 OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
Hi,
First time trying to use an import.
I get it into the file just fine but the shape is not a closed pline, it's made up of splines, arcs etc. however all the endpoints are snapped together.
When imported it comes in just fine but does not create an enclosed body to extrude - I can only make a cookie cutter out of the edges. See screenshot.
I'm sure there is a way to fix this either on the 2d file or in onshape. Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure the issue is the Splines and it not being a closed polyline but don't know how to fix that.
(
(in the screenshot there are 2 copies of the sketch as I was messing around)

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Note - Just tried replacing the splines with arc's and making the whole shape a closed Pline - same results in Onshape.
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    @Eric_92 could you share your document so we can take  look, DXF imports are tricky sometimes.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Thanks Andrew.
    I got it to work by individually going through each point and re-snapping them to the adjacent end point, then it created a solid.

The other work around was simply "useing" the imported sketch as tracing paper and drew / mirrored new geometry over it using the same endpoints. crude but also worked for this simple geo.
  • Options
    zak_morrowzak_morrow Member Posts: 2
    nav said:
    @Eric_92 could you share your document so we can take  look, DXF imports are tricky sometimes.
    Hi, all!

I'm having a very similar sounding issue when importing a DXF into sketchs. I tried going through the whole sketch and making points/lines coincident throughout, but after reviewing it for a long while and still not getting a closed surface I'm hoping one of you might be able to help:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d0922bc48473672d2afc50ff

Source DXF is at 
    http://www.budind.com/dxf/hbext9165.dxf