Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to use Part Studio / Assembly

Hello,

I'm new to Onshape and CAD in general.  They switched from paper/pencil to computer-based the semester after I took it!

I have an existing design made up of 5 different pieces that get glued together that I created in TinkerCAD, and I want to recreate it in Onshape in order to have more options in my design.  I started out creating the sketches and extrusions for 3 of the parts all in the same Part Studio, which (I think) turned out to be a bad idea.  Two of them are located right around the origin, and they overlap in some areas.  I had the first hidden when starting the second, so didn't really think about it at the time.  When I made the first part visible again, one portion of the overlapped piece is a hold which ended up removing material from the first.

I know I can fix my problem by deleting the work that I did on the second part and recreating it, but before I do that, I wanted to check to see if there is a way to "move" the features (sketches, extrusions, filets, etc.) from one part studio to another.  Is that how I should have done it in the first place?  Should I have created each part in its own Part Studio?  How do I reference features of one part in another part to assist in the design of the subsequent parts?

Eventually, I think I want to be able to check fit the parts within Onshape.  Do I do this using the assembly feature?

Thanks for any advice/help you can provide!

Rob

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    If you are designing parts that will be glued together, doing them in the same part studio makes sense. What you are missing is that you should draw them in their "final" position rather than all on the origin.
    Another way to think about it is to design these effectively as a single part (since they will glued together in the end) and split them as needed for printing (at the end of the design).

I highly recommend you look at the training, and specifically this multi part studio one as it should illustrate your use case:
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-multi-part-part-studios/multi-part-sketching-techniques/creating-master-sketches

Also note that is perfectly possible to design multiple parts "on top of each other", you just have to pay attention to the "merge scope" of the different features to make sure they only apply to the part(s) you want, but I think you just need to draw them in the right spot.