Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

20° fillets direction. Some went to 70°

EugenEugen Member Posts: 18 PRO

Hello, 
I need to fillet a number of edges in an angle of 20°. ( no problem with 45°)
I want to get only one feature in part historie.
Is there any possibility to change the direction of every single edge? 
In my case some went wrong direction, some right. 

Answers

• Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    In Soliddoesnotwork is a small arrow to change the direction of each fillet. Is it possible to add something like this? Or if you click again, or with shift click to change the direction? Just a small feature to change it for each edge.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    @Eugen
    This functionality is currently missing from Onshape so it's a bit of a mess... Right now you basically have to create two separate features unfortunately.
    Please vote for this improvement so it gets a higher chance of getting implemented: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9271/chamfer-feature-choose-direction-for-each-input#latest
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    This is due to the fact that every line or edge has a "start" and "end" which are sometimes arbitrary or unpredictable. I'd like a solution on this too. I loved the way that @MBartlett21 handled this same issue with his Corner Overcut feature by adding manipulators to flip edges, and an additional query box to add edges to flip. It's a really great implementation. Some enterprising person could definitely make a modified chamfer feature with this added, but it's probably not going to be me.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @Eugen

So it doesn’t sound like the tool mentioned in the link below is going to help in this particular situation. Otherwise I’m pretty sure @Evan_Reese would’ve mentioned it

Nonetheless, if you are working with a lot of fillets from time to time, you might want to take a look at this tool

At the link below, there is a link where you can watch a video explaining how it works

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/13958/new-custom-feature-selection-fillet

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    This is due to the fact that every line or edge has a "start" and "end" which are sometimes arbitrary or unpredictable. I'd like a solution on this too. I loved the way that @MBartlett21 handled this same issue with his Corner Overcut feature by adding manipulators to flip edges, and an additional query box to add edges to flip. It's a really great implementation. Some enterprising person could definitely make a modified chamfer feature with this added, but it's probably not going to be me.
    @Evan_Reese

I did try creating a feature that had a flipped option, but when you are chamfering less edges, it flips sometimes for no reason at all.

See my post here: chamfer feature, choose direction for each input — Onshape

The defaults for the flip are set up so that the first input should go one way and the second input should go the other. Unfortunately, depending on the selection, they seem to arbitrarily choose an orientation, and so often having one flipped and the other not won't actually work.

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    woah! 😳 I didn't realize it did that. It seems like the first selection is probably driving the others, which probably helps chains of edges at least all share a direction, but yeah, that's a tough one.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl