Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I merge two parts in an assembly so that I can manufacture them as a single part?

shaprshapr Member Posts: 2
Imagine I have this part:
Then in the assembly I can merge them using a planar constaint from this:

To this:

But my problem is, it's still two parts... And if I now 3d print it or CNC it, it's still two parts. How to I actually merge them so that I can machine it as just a single part? I don't want to do it in Part Studio because I will use the exact same part without joining it for the first joint. Either I don't understand how to use Part Studio or there is an option in the assmebly that allows me to merge them.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,372 PRO
    If you need one part which is the half part, and another part which is the full one, I would build both in the part studio. There are a zillion ways to do this, but from how you're thinking about this, the transform tool might be what you want. Think of the part studio as the workshop where you design parts. The assembly is where you take those parts and put them together to make something. 

In general you don't use planar mates very much in Onshape. Learn how "fasten" works. It locks down all the degrees of freedom in one step.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    shapr said:

I don't want to do it in Part Studio because I will use the exact same part without joining it for the first joint. Either I don't understand how to use Part Studio or there is an option in the assmebly that allows me to merge them.
    Not exactly sure what you are asking for

The GRAY booleaned part and the 2 BLUE non-booleaned parts were made in the same part studio

It just requires you to select KEEP TOOLS in the Boolean Dialog Box

In selecting KEEP TOOLS in the boolean dialogue box, you will end up with three parts. The two blue parts and the single gray part

If you only want one of the BLUE parts, then AFTER the boolean, delete the 2nd BLUE part

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    So many ways to skin a cat. There is no merge in the assembly environment. It simply doesn't apply. Understanding what a part 'studio' is compared to a part 'file' is the key.

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 811 PRO
    I do this sort of thing often but only as a last resort or if it is going to save me tons of time in the moment and I don't foresee any major edits that would need to be done in the future.  Check the little gif.  I agree with most people here in thinking that this would be not the way you would want to plan to do this all the time.

• Options
    rogier_van_vugtrogier_van_vugt Member Posts: 4
    The problem here of course is when you import an STL file. If you do so, it creates its own part studio. And you can edit the stl there, but you cannot combine it with another STL file, because that creates its own part studio.
    So yes, you either have to combine it into a single object in assembly, or you have to get a single parts studio with both stl files.
    The last would be preferable, but I have not found any way to do so yet...
    So if anyone can explain that 2nd option (combining two imports into one part studio), that would be fine as well.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    The problem here of course is when you import an STL file. If you do so, it creates its own part studio. And you can edit the stl there, but you cannot combine it with another STL file, because that creates its own part studio.
    So yes, you either have to combine it into a single object in assembly, or you have to get a single parts studio with both stl files.
    The last would be preferable, but I have not found any way to do so yet...
    So if anyone can explain that 2nd option (combining two imports into one part studio), that would be fine as well.
    You can use the derive feature to insert a part from another part studio