Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

One Sub Assembly with multiple configurations

I have a sub-assembly that I'm adding to my main assembly and I want to have 2 different configurations available for selection within my main.  How do I set that up in my sub?  I don't think branching is the correct way as I am learning the platform now.  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Answers

• jeff_naglejeff_nagle Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Thank you @eric_pesty.  A follow-up would be do I need to include ALL mates, etc. for every configuration?  I created 2 configs based on showing and hiding specific wheel type(2 types) but when I bring in the sub-assm to the main, the components aren't mated anymore and I can move individual pieces around.  However, when I go back to the sub-assm they are fastened properly.  Just want to approach this the proper way so I don't have to start from scratch.  Thanks.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    @jeff_nagle
    It's a bit hard to tell without seeing the details of what you are trying to do but you should not need to re-mate things as long as you have a "stable" reference (i.e. something that is there in all configurations) to mate to in your sub-assembly.

If that's the issue I would create an explicit mate connector in the sub-assembly that is always there and mate to that in your higher level.

If you are able to share the document and post a link we'd be able to better help you.