Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parallel Lines with dimension use angle instead of distance.

anddy_archeranddy_archer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
So, I've used OnShape on and off over the years and I've never had this problem: I have a rectangle sketch on one plane, then on an offset plane from that sketch I make another rectangle that has it's edges relative to that original rectangle.  Both rectangles are orthogonal so the sides are parallel.  Or so I thought.  When I set the distance between the sides, I get an angle dimension that makes no sense: it's an angle with a value that is half of the value I set.  In my linked example document, I have the offending dimensions as driving and then non-driving dimensions from corner-to-edge show that the distance is not what I've set.

I can constrain the sides to be parallel to make sure, and that doesn't over-constrain the drawing.  So something is amiss here.  I just don't know what.  It feels like a bug.  Any ideas?

Here is an example document: 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0056c70b6cc07cd5116922d1/w/c983bd2f2b4ef6bd9277920c/e/ef7d9440db2c1b286bb97254?renderMode=0&uiState=6340742219526f37e6637638

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    If I understand what's tripping you up, it's a feature, not a bug. If you dimension to a construction line, and mouse over it, you get a diametric dimension instead of a radial one. It treats it as an axis of rotation or symmetry, which is really handy sometimes.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    If I understand what's tripping you up, it's a feature, not a bug. If you dimension to a construction line, and mouse over it, you get a diametric dimension instead of a radial one. It treats it as an axis of rotation or symmetry, which is really handy sometimes.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    anddy_archeranddy_archer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    That seems useful and interesting, but I don't know how to enable/disable that :(

I'm futzing around trying to repeat what you are doing, but no hover or clicking is letting me replicate your gif.  Thank you for the gif btw.  I'm glad this isn't a bug, just my ignorance--as I thought.

** OK, I kept trying and I got the missing part, I'll need to set that when I make the dimension.  My problem is that I often just tap-tap-confirm on my touchpad and it gets set into the rotation mode.  I'll just need to zoom in and make sure I put the dimension on the inside.