Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Radius edge display in rendering

Dear all,

I am looking through the Render-studio options and trying to get some nice pictures from a model. In general it is going well but in a model which contains a bended surface the edge is looking realy messed up. The curve is built from large straight lines and on some positions there are some geometry defects showing. The model is okay. Top picture is render result, bottom picture is from unrendered model.

Is there a way to control the rendered look of round faces and rounded edge quality?

Best regards,
Dennis Varkevisser

Comments

• Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    You may need to adjust the tessellation settings in the intial conversion. It is strange that there are cracks visible though even if the tessellation is not high enough. Are the horizontal and vertical surfaces shown one part? If they are separate parts then it cannot be gauranteed that the tessellation will be crack free since the objects are not joined (though usually with high enough tessellation it will look ok). In this case it is likely only the angular tolerance that needs adjusting so you may want to use a custom tessellation instead of the presets.
  • Options
    Dennis_VarkevisserDennis_Varkevisser Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Hello Paul,

Thanks for your reply! I have rendered the single component and adjusted the angular tolerance, this resulted in a much better rendering!
    The challenge right now is to adjust the tesselation quality for the complete assembly. I am able to tesselate "medium" quality for the total assmbly while "fine" is timed-out. If I use the custom settings it starts with 15 deg angular tolerance  and 0.01 chordal tolernance. I have tried to just decrease the angular tolerance to 5 deg. but I get long waiting times and eventually time-outs. It would be helpfull to know what these setting are for "medium" so I can deviate with smaller steps.
    It would also be helpfull to adjust the tesselation for individual components. Is this possible in the render settings? I know from old-skool 3D-Studio-Max that you could make a rendering form a square model look super smooth and rounded. 

Best regards,
    Dennis Varkevisser
  • Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    It would be helpfull to know what these setting are for "medium" so I can deviate with smaller steps.
    You can find the defaults for Coarse, Medium and Fine here. So 30, 15 and 5 degrees in terms of the angle tolerance.
    It would also be helpfull to adjust the tesselation for individual components. Is this possible in the render settings?
    Unfortunately this currently is not possible. It will be in the future but I can't give a timeframe for that. We know it is painful and sometimes it isn't really possible to get an ideal tessellation that is light enough to let Onshape complete it but dense enough to have the quality needed.
    I know from old-skool 3D-Studio-Max that you could make a rendering form a square model look super smooth and rounded. 
    We don't have or plan to have any functionality like this. 3ds max and other tools have mesh editing functionality with processes like mesh smoothing, sub-division and so on. These typically wouldn't help in the case like you showed in your image as they would also smooth everything else out. Using a mesh as a cage for SubD surfaces with creases specified and so on could work but at that point you are really talking about a full SubD modeller which definitely is not in the scope of Render Studio. Ultimately we will solve this by allowing selective tessellation and higher tessellation without failing which are both actively being worked on.