Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Aligning features on sketches in different planes?

øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
This might be non-sensical, but I'm asking anyway.

Assume I have drawn a ellipse in a sketch on the top plane. Then I draw a thin, slightly tilting rectangle in a sketch on the front plane. I want to sweep this rectangle using the ellipse as the sweep curve, ending up with a solid shell.

Now, the issue is that I'd like to have one point of this rectangle aligned to the edge of the ellipse, but there seems to be no way of locking/inferencing features on different sketches.

To make this work, I then have to use the distance tool to position the rectangle correctly, but if I then try to resize the ellipse, I will manually have to move (enter a new distance) the rectangle.

I suspect that there is something fatally flawed with my workflow, so I am asking how to correctly accomplish this.

Best Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Answer ✓
    Use a pierce constraint.  It will find the point where the curve intersects the sketch and attach the point there.  The problem with using the projection is when the silhouette of the ellipse isn't the part that is crossing the front plane.  The rectangle will be offset from the end.

With a pierce, just select a curve and a point you want to pierce to it.  This will find the point where the curve intersects the plane and make the selected point be on that point.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com

Answers

• Options
    Thanks. That solves my question.  :-)
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    There is one method which I would like to suggest you as given in below picture.

I created the ellipse and construction line in top plane. Both end points of construction line should coincide with ellipse. After that in front plane you can project the end point of line where you want to create rectangular cross section, then you can coincide the rectangle corner with projected point. So, when ellipse changes, construction line length will update and rectangular cross-section will remain coincident to ellipse. 
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    øyvind_kaurstad  I think @Narayan_K  already answered you before me but I delayed to post :smile:  Apologize for same answer.
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstad  I think @Narayan_K  already answered you before me but I delayed to post :smile:  Apologize for same answer.
    No need to apologize. You both gave the same answer, both with excellent illustrations. However, since @Narayan_K was first, I am keeping his as the accepted answer.

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Answer ✓
    Use a pierce constraint.  It will find the point where the curve intersects the sketch and attach the point there.  The problem with using the projection is when the silhouette of the ellipse isn't the part that is crossing the front plane.  The rectangle will be offset from the end.

With a pierce, just select a curve and a point you want to pierce to it.  This will find the point where the curve intersects the plane and make the selected point be on that point.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ jakeramsley , Thank you for sharing appropriate method.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for pierce
  • Options
    @jakeramsley+1 for pierce Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for pierce