Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Radial attachment of part on cylinder

felix_meyer213felix_meyer213 Member Posts: 8
I have this rocket and a fin. How do I attach the fin radially in the assembly? And how can I space 4 of them evenly around the rocket? I've tried using the fixed mate tool but it does not work.

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    @felix_meyer213

Cylindrical Mate with Limits, provided the outside face of the rocket, and the part of the fin that touches the rocket, both have the same radius

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/890aeb7dcf81d91801cc91c5/w/889552ad99e850010f17c77a/e/46b878188c8cb3e790fbffd9

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,545 PRO
    @steve_shubin
    That's just a fasten mate with a Z offset (rather than cylindrical with limits...)

@felix_meyer213
    There is no "fix" mate. Fix just makes a part immovable but not relative to any other part, best practice is to "fix" one part in you assembly and then mate the other ones from there.
    I would suggest doing the training on assemblies, it goes over the different types of mate: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-onshape-assemblies/creating-an-assembly/starting-an-assembly
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    @eric_pesty

They are similar. But not quite the same

During your design stage, the cylindrical mate is easier for you to move around and look at, and then move it a little bit more, and look at it. So if you’re the sort that likes to design that way — as might be the case if you were designing a toy rocket, then cylindrical is what you might want to use

You could also be designing some type of a consumer product that has a cylindrical aspect to it and you were going to be attaching something to the cylinders surface in a similar manner, and this item was something that you were going to be moving a lot until you dialed in the exact location. Cylindrical could come in handy in this case also

But it was great that you showed how there are a few ways to go about this particular situation