Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

extrude on an angle

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Using Onshape
I have a box shape made from four rectangles for the "walls" and then extruded up. I'd like to have a sloped "lid" on the box and have the walls extrude up this sloped top. Extrude has some options but I don't see one that will do this. I've drawn the lid on a different sketch based on a plane at one edge of the box and tilted at the angle I want. It seems like because its on a different sketch the lid is not a part thats available for the "extrude up to part" options. I'm not sure that will do what I want but was hopeful.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

p.s., I tried attaching a screen shot of this but that feature doesn't seem to work (for me at least). You can see an example in 1010 | Part Studio 2 (onshape.com)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,508 PRO
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    There are a few ways you could do this:
    - create the angled plane first and change the end condition for the extrude to "up to entity" (and select the plane)
    - Do a "move face" using the rotate option and the edge you used for the plane as the axis to angle the top of the wall (then you don't need the plane anymore)

- Don't change anything and do a "replace face" to move the walls up to the roof:

See example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c9c3a9e645c57908a5c72137/w/bf224f26f73bf67e27a111b6/e/1a10b548a76d2554be863cb6

As a side note, best practice is to fully define sketches and in a case like this to place them in a "logical" place on the origin.

Answers

• Options
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    There are a few ways you could do this:
    - create the angled plane first and change the end condition for the extrude to "up to entity" (and select the plane)
    - Do a "move face" using the rotate option and the edge you used for the plane as the axis to angle the top of the wall (then you don't need the plane anymore)

- Don't change anything and do a "replace face" to move the walls up to the roof:

See example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c9c3a9e645c57908a5c72137/w/bf224f26f73bf67e27a111b6/e/1a10b548a76d2554be863cb6

As a side note, best practice is to fully define sketches and in a case like this to place them in a "logical" place on the origin.
  • Options
    jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Thanks. I had not realized the potential in "replace/move face". I'll poke some more at this.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention the "obvious": you could also extrude the top of the wall again "up to" the underside of the roof (instead of the replace face), that would achieve the same thing...
    Basically at a high level you either need to create the angled reference first to "extrude up to", or use a second feature to modify it in which case there are a number of ways to achieve that (move/replace face, second extrude, etc...)

Then there are also other ways you could approach this by extruding from the side first (to create the sloped roof) and then doing either a cut from the top or use a "shell" to create "hollow out" the inside.