Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to change a surface into a part

jason_chen506jason_chen506 Member Posts: 2
I have been trying to create a hole in my car, but it won't work because it is not a part. Can someone help me? Link to my document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9d1577b779f253c97c5e68c1/w/8fa339fbd82b24ae7ca86cb4/e/3259f575b6950c7109f94879 

Comments

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 386 PRO
    It looks like your car is modelled using surfaces so you can either 'Thicken' the surfaces using the thicken tool which will turn the surfaces into parts, or you can draw a sketch on the surface i.e. a circle and use the split tool to 'Split' the surface and then delete the hole using the 'Delete Surface' tool
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @Jason_Chen, there are two approaches to transform a surface/s into a solid:
    1. "Thicken" the surface (as described by @GWS50 ), or
    2. "Enclose" the surface to create a fully enclosed volume (often followed by applying the "Shell" tool)
    Onshape has tools for both of these workflows.