Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

different section views per part in assembly

lars_gerchowlars_gerchow Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hi,

Im trying to create a view of an assembly where different parts have different sections for clarity purposes.
Imagine an onion where the layers from inner to outer are progressively more 'peeled' away.

As there is only one section view per document and it seems not be propagated to an assembly making use of it I see the only option to create branched versions of each sub-assembly/part where I manually remove material.
Anyone has a better solution at hand?

Bests
Lars

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,545 PRO
    I was going to suggest using "named views" to crate different sections with different "include" and "exclude" settings but I don't think that's what you are asking... If you want a bunch of different cuts visible at the same time I can't think of an "easy" way to do this.

You could use branches or maybe it would be simpler with configuration where you have a cut in each part that is toggled by configuration. It could get pretty tedious to set it up and propagate it to your assembly if you have many part studios (and/or nested sub-assemblies) though...

An "assembly cut" feature would be very useful for this... The closest you'd get if you just need the visuals would be to create a context of your assembly then do a "copy in place" of all the parts/bodies and then some cut features in there. The main downside is that you would have to re-assign the appearances of the parts but it would be the fastest way to get there... You would also lose the part properties so if you want to use this on a drawing to call things out it won't really help (or you'd have to "fake it", which might be acceptable). On the plus side this wouldn't "disrupt" anything else (no extra branches or configurations in your parts).