Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Add thread callout to custom hole

Hello,

I am trying to generate a blind tapped hole that has a counter bore (the counterbore acts as a locating feature for a sleeve but I will just call it a counterbore). When trying to make this using the hole feature wizard, changing any of the dimensions (such as counterbore depth or diameter) causes it to become a custom hole which does not support threads (for some reason). As such when creating a drawing, the thread is not automatically picked up in the callout.

To create the feature I need to use a simple tapped hole then create another extrude feature for the counterbore. It also requires two callouts when I'd prefer to have a single callout like the picture below. The picture was generated using the note tool in the drawing, however I'd also like to add an asymmetric tolerance to the counterbore hole diameter which notes does not support.

Answers

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I would like to see custom holes that can use threads as well. Have you tried to make the tapped hole first and then the counterbored hole using the tap drill diameter after? It will create the hole you want but the downside is two separate hole callouts.
  • Options
    Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 18 PRO
    Yea my process is to either make a simple tapped hole and then remove extrude the counterbore or vice versa, both methods require two callouts which ideally I'd like to avoid but it seems like it's inevitable until they add support for threads in custom holes.
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Does anyone have a good solution in this for 2024?

My satellite lab is running into this issue. We would like to slightly modify the countersink depth/diameter for some holes. It is a bit of a "corner case" in a satellite --- important for manufacturing the corner right :wink:

Thanks!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    @alnis

you could modify the attribute after the feature has been made. You just need to get the attribute, then change the map key that you want changed.

here is something I wrote a while ago. it should give you a good starting point. 
    annotation { "Feature Type Name" : "Print Hole attribute" }
    export const printHoleAttribute = defineFeature(function(context is Context, id is Id, definition is map)
        precondition
        {
           annotation { "Name" : "Entities", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE || EntityType.EDGE  }
           definition.ents is Query;

}
        {
           var ents =evaluateQuery(context, definition.ents);
           for(var n=0;n<size(ents);n+=1)
           {
               var atts =getHoleAttributes(context,ents[n]);
               if(atts==[]) continue;
               you can change the attribute keys here to what you want them to be. this should override the hole callout for the drawing.
               println( atts[0]);
           }
        });