Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boat hull loft interections

WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
This is truly driving me mad. I'm trying to make a solid wall boat hull. Just the stern for the moment. The lofting is driving me nuts.

Here's where I'm at with the model.

I've tried making the loft in multiple directions but keep running into issues with vertices aligning when lofting. I'm trying to make the wall solid, hence the doubled lines. The outer wall is fine but the inner creates problems. Thicken doesn't work because of the hull sheer not creating a horizontal surface.

The offset splines don't line up to use as a guide either. They are the same width but of course the angles change the intersection. The bottom is similar on a zoomed in scale.

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 486 PRO
    @joshua_jenkins063, an easier approach is to just loft a single surface (inner or outer).  Then you can select the hull surface and multiple planes to "Enclose" a volume to convert from surface to solid.

Then shell the solid.  If you make your document public and post the URL you'll likely get better recommendations.
  • Options
    WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
    Thanks for that mate, I didn't realizxe I had to change the settings to public.

Hopefully this link works fine.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d5b5306d1c1bb0b43e9ea37c/w/f644da356b37045c3e86e653/e/e524e2c1abed1830e68cd97a?renderMode=0&uiState=6350be8fc92d1b20aab93842

I've tried enclosing but I can't get the loft and guide right on the inner because of the intersecting position of angles not lining up.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,072 PRO
    You can actually choose a point as one of your profiles. Here's how I'd do it. I'm lofting the front profile to the prow point, and using other curves as guides. Since I did a solid loft the surrounding faces are already parallel to the cardinal planes, and when I shell, it keeps those faces.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl