Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a better/faster way?

a_gorea_gore Member Posts: 11 PRO
I have a drawing where I used a configuration variable to drive one dimension within a parts studio, I then used another configuration variable in the assembly to again alter the same dimension, so far straight forward. I then decided that instead of using a variable I want to use a list with set dimensions, no problem in the parts studio but in the assembly unlike with the variable where you can right click, 'select all instances with the same configurations' and then clicking on 'configuration', job done. With a list configuration it looks like the only way is to click on each individual part in the parts tree to add it to the configuration list, once you have finished selecting all the parts that are affected by the dimension change and you have clicked 'done', you then need to select from the drop down in the configurations what you want to happen for each cell in each row in every column. My problem is that I have 10 rows and most of the assembly is driven by this dimension, approximately 150-200 parts x 10 is a lot of cells to set.

Is there another way, any help would be much appreciated and could save me a lot of time?

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    You should be able to select a bunch of parts in the assembly (assuming they were created in the same part studio) and right-click "change configuration". If that configuration was added to a table an you are in the correct assy configuration that should modify all the applicable table entries. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback Eric, I could right click and 'select all instances with the same configurations' and then as you said change the configuration for all those selected parts at the same time, however that doesn't encompass all the parts that need to be configured, this is because I have many different configurations which are shared across different parts, this means that the 'select all instances with the same configurations' doesn't select everything I need it to select.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I fully understand what your situation is but you should also be able to shift select a bunch of things from your assembly tree and as long as they are from the same part studio you should be able to "change configuration" and anything you edit will be set to the same for all selected parts (and it shouldn't change any of the inputs you are not editing). i.e. you are not limited to only editing items that you can select using the 'select all instances with the same configurations'.

If you have lots of parts you need to select you will still have to find a way to pick them in the tree (remember you can use the filter to help with that) but the key point is that you don't have to edit every cell in the configuration table.

See example where blocks with different heights and different colors can be configured at once and it only changes the edited property (you can set them to the same color without changing the height or to the same height without changing the color)

• Options
    Thanks Eric that's sorted me, I have managed to do what I wanted in a matter of minutes instead of hours. The example was very helpful :)
  • Options
    Glad that helped, I was struggling to put it in words so it would be easier to do an example (I wanted to make sure what I was saying was correct too!)
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    This is a great tip. I've had this issue a few times although I have so far had much smaller assemblies
    so it just took me a few minutes longer and it hadn't annoyed me enough yet to find a better way.

My main issue in this regard is actually that I have all of these configurations set in configuration tables
    so if I have 10 of the same part with the same configuration I have 10 of the same entries in my configuration
    table and it gets a bit unwieldy. Besides using linear patterns where you can is there another way you would
    handle this issue and is it something you come across as well?
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,373 PRO
    Keep in mind that you can use Google Sheets or Excel to create a table and paste it into an Onshape configuration. This can be a quick way to build up a bunch of configs in multiple assemblies or part studios.