Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Custom Feature Part Name (Ovyl)

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
edited October 2022 in General
Many of you all have already used the Part Name feature that I wrote (based on some code originally by @NeilCooke). I just pushed a pretty big update to it, so I thought I'd go ahead and make a dedicated post about the feature, which can be a good way for people to find it, ask questions about it, and for me to add update notes as needed.

Here are the updates I made for V10:
  1. It no longer has a dedicated part number area. You just pick whether it should set the part name, part number, or both. I thought having a single field to fill for PN was a pain, and that having up to 6 to work with was nicer. If you need the number to be different than the name, I recommend just using the feature twice in a row.
  2. It handles rounding better. If you're using an expression, you have the option to round it to a certain decimal place. If the output of the expression is a length or angle, then you'll also see the option to choose display units", so that when the number is rounded, it shows the right thing. For example if you give it 1*inch you'll be able to choose "inch" as a display unit and the output will be 1, not 0.0254 (which is 1 inch in meters)
  3. The delimiter character can just be typed so you can use whatever you want.
Many of these updates are likely to break any existing models they're used in, so I recommend not updating places it's already been used, and just using V9 for new features.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
Tagged: