Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fonts

I am using onshape, for the first time in fact 2nd day, and am astounded by the total inability of using fonts, now maybe I am not fully aware of how to import more fonts, hence the post, but if I can only use the ones shown, I am very sorry to say that $1400 a year for a program, that has been running 12 years... Well enough said

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited November 2022
    Welcome to Onshape @ian_stoddern. More fonts would be great, I have needed them a few times.

Here is an improvement request you can throw your vote in: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10127/user-fonts-or-simply-more-fonts

Also, here is a custom feature I have added to my toolbar that you might like as well: 
    This custom feature has several text options Surface Text by @jan_vykydal

If you plan on going production and using this for your company but still need more fonts, you can write your own custom features or have others write it for you. CADSharp specializes in custom features and automating workflows. If you find yourself doing something repetitive, consider automating it.

Also, you can import dxf files directedly and use those. Between google docs, and inkscape, I can generate pretty much any kind of text you can imagine and import the dxf into Onshape to be extruded.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    david_zachmeyer307david_zachmeyer307 Member Posts: 3
    Welcome to Onshape @ian_stoddern. More fonts would be great, I have needed them a few times.

Here is an improvement request you can throw your vote in: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10127/user-fonts-or-simply-more-fonts

Also, here is a custom feature I have added to my toolbar that you might like as well: 
    This custom feature has several text options Surface Text by @jan_vykydal

If you plan on going production and using this for your company but still need more fonts, you can write your own custom features or have others write it for you. CADSharp specializes in custom features and automating workflows. If you find yourself doing something repetitive, consider automating it.

Also, you can import dxf files directedly and use those. Between google docs, and inkscape, I can generate pretty much any kind of text you can imagine and import the dxf into Onshape to be extruded.

Such workarounds shouldn't be needed in a professional CAD package. AutoCAD, SolidWorks, etc. have supported .TTF fonts for years if not decades. Not having that capability in OnShape is kind of like driving a Lexus that has lawn chairs for seats.
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    I agree more fonts would be a very good idea, but remember onshape is not about supporting what has been for decades but rather finding new ways to accomplish things. When I run into things like this I try to stop and question myself if is this something that is actually needed, or should I throw all preconceived ideas out the window and look at the blank sheet of paper a bit longer. Or maybe buck the standard in favor of a better one?   
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    My understanding is that there are some technical/legal issues with licensing of fonts (for example how does Onshape handle sharing a document that has "non free" fonts in it?, they probably would need to revert to displaying using a different font but that would cause some features to break etc...) and that is the reason we don't have more fonts available today...
    However, while we can achieve the end result we need using DXFs, it really slows us down (for example we have some text that we want to configure but right now we need to generate DXFs for every possible text combination instead of just typing it in).
    So I really hope they can come up with a solution because it's a pain...
  • Options
    christian_pettychristian_petty Member Posts: 65 PRO
    Defaulting to an open source font seems like a reasonable fix for licensing. I too would like to see custom font support.
    Christian Petty - Mechanical Design Engineer, Radian R&D
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    I'm very curious how Figma handles this, since they have very professional graphic design tools in the browser. Seems like Onshape could emulate their approach to handling custom commercial fonts.

A quick question to GPT4 gives this:

As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Figma provides support for using commercial licensed fonts in designs. When using licensed fonts, it is important to follow the terms and conditions outlined in the font's specific End User License Agreement (EULA). Here's how Figma handles commercial licensed fonts:

1. Local fonts: You can use locally installed commercial fonts in your designs. Once you have the appropriate license and the font installed on your computer, Figma will automatically detect and make the font available for use within the application. Make sure to follow the font's licensing terms, which may have restrictions on sharing, distribution, or usage for commercial purposes.

2. Shared fonts: If you are part of a team using Figma and want to share a commercial font with other team members, you need to ensure that every team member has the appropriate license to use the font. Some font licenses may allow you to share the font with a specific number of users, while others may require each user to have a separate license.

3. Figma Organization plan: If you're using Figma Organization, you can take advantage of the Shared Fonts feature. This feature allows organizations to upload licensed fonts to a central repository so that all team members can access and use the fonts in their designs, provided that the organization holds the necessary licenses. This ensures that your organization stays compliant with font licensing terms.

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    I just stumbled upon this real info about how Figma enables local font access in their web app: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039956894-Access-local-fonts-on-your-computer#browser