Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Curve pattern with curve made of straight lines

Hello everyone, I would appreciate your help and feedback.

I am trying to curve pattern extruded holes on a curve made of many straight lines. These straight lines cannot be applied and projected to be one curve line with constant value of radius. I tried to curve pattern it choosing the edges shaping the extruded surface as a reference but it is not working well as the center of the holes is not in the middle of the surface as it should be. 

I tried to draw a centerline in the middle of the surface and choose it as a reference hoping that all holes's centers would sit on this center line exactly as I want but it did not work. Only the first patterned hole works fine but the third and others just start to snaps of the centerline. 

I even tried to use Spline and tried to use it as a reference but still cannot get holes' centers to sit exactly on the lines itself. I will start to use the Bezier to see if it can work. Maybe there is an option to force the curve pattern to follow the centerline or refernce? Or there's away to make a non homogenous curve as a single entity and force it to be as a reference?

Can anyone be so kind and show if there is away to go about this issue?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Seems like odd behavior. Is the pattern seed touching the guide curve path (in your case a chain of straight lines)? If it's not the feature can struggle to infer where it should be. if you can make your doc public and share the URL, I can be more helpful.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Ali_Obeid_AliAli_Obeid_Ali Member Posts: 5
    Thank you Evan for your reply. I thought it is public, I will make it public.

Actually I tried someting else and worked, I made a centerline for the circle and constraint it to be parallel to the edge and the main centerline line and it worked.

Before doing that I assume that even though the center of the circle was exactly on the main centerline but the program was not patterning it on the next centerline reference (because the refernce for the curve pattern is a bunch of short lines not a curv).
  • Ali_Obeid_AliAli_Obeid_Ali Member Posts: 5
    Hi Evan, 
    would you be so kind and check how to solve this issue please?
    Link is below
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8da29eff8cbf4d75401d3cf8/w/c23cc19e25507df0b314ef0a/e/d8db349c80ad5b86aba402c2