Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New to OnShape, need help for a pattern

Hello,

So, I have to make a model like the object below to 3D print.

My problem is that I have no idea how I can make a pattern that cuts with triangular shapes.
Anyone could show me step by step ?

Thank you

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Yep. I'm using variables to drive everything, and using equations in the input fields to get the values I want. For example, the total length should be
    #slotGap * (#slotCount + 1) + #slotWidth * #slotCount
    You can just type that into the sketch dimension and it will do the math for you.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    Here's a good way. I went a little over the top in making it adjustable so you can change the number of slots, their width, and the space between them.

• Options
    Diogo_3D_ModelerDiogo_3D_Modeler Member Posts: 4
    Wow! Holy cow, I never thought that OnShape was capable of that ! It seems that there is much more to learn.
    Those seem to be variables, right ?

Thank you so much for making this file.
  • Options
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Yep. I'm using variables to drive everything, and using equations in the input fields to get the values I want. For example, the total length should be
    #slotGap * (#slotCount + 1) + #slotWidth * #slotCount
    You can just type that into the sketch dimension and it will do the math for you.