Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Features not "in context"?

Hi there! I'm doing some "in context" modeling and I'm running into the same issue on two of my in context edits...

I'm starting out with an assembly where I'm bringing together several part studios. I have several assemblies that use the same parts. On some of the assemblies I need custom "one off" mods to some of these parts. In context modeling seems perfect for this.

What I do is this: Create the assembly and then click on the part and select "edit in context". I'm then brought to the part studio for that part where I can make edits to the part and relate them to the assembly. This all makes sense to me, and I'm able to make the exact edits I need.

Here's an example edit:

You can see that the Sketch 4 IS in context, but the following features after that sketch (which I made while in context) don't have the context arrow next to them.

What happens is that these modifications now end up on the part that I am using in other assemblies which is NOT what I want... Is there a way to get these features after "Sketch 4" to only be associated with the current context I'm editing? I've tried this several times and I can't seem to figure it out...

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    You will either need to add configurations to manage suppression of features, or consider deriving some generic version of the part in to another part studio and then add the in-context features there.

In-context doesn't make a different version of a part just for that context. It's just a way to use an assembly to drive part geometry.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited November 2022

Hi @eric_schimelpfenig, it's been a while! 

Seems like a configuration would solve this nicely as it is a configuration of the original part. Is there a reason you don't want to use that? Perhaps we can find another way for you.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    This is behaving "as intended". A context is meant to provide a refence for you part but does not create a different version of you part. The arrow show which feature directly reference the context but the feature is going to always be present in your part.
    I can think of two ways to get what you want (assuming I understand correctly):
    - Either create a derived part of your "unmodified" part and insert this in you assembly before doing the "one off" modifications.
    - Or create configurations in you part to suppress the "one off" features you create in context.

• eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
    Ok, thanks to all of your responses I now have my head around this... 

I thought that disabling a context removed all of the features that were created in that context.

I guess I'll have to ponder what would be the right way to approach this... copying/deriving a part or putting in some configuration check boxes in..  I think the latter is going to be the way to solve this....

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited November 2022

With cabinet related things you might need to control suppression with multiple configurations. This is only possible efficiently with custom feature. Let me know if you do end up needing more advanced configuration control.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎