Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I cannot select the bottom face of my object to draw a circle on it. How do I select/designate it?

gilbert_carmichael_gilbert_carmichael_ OS Professional Posts: 4
I have an object that I created by revolving a profile around an axis.  I need to extrude a circle on the bottom face of the object but I cannot select that sketch plane.  It is parallel to the top plane.  How can I select a particular plane?

Answers

• Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    if the face is plane you should be able to select that face as the basis for a sketch. Are you certain that the bottom surface has been created by revolving a line that is perpendicular to the revolve axis?
    If the line did not start out being perpendicular to the revolve axis then the bottom surface is not plane and you will not be able to make the sketch from that face.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    (ON EDIT: Assuming you've eliminated the valid possibility raised by @joris_kofman)

One thing which can prevent the selection of a planar face is if planes (specifically, the things Onshape calls planes) are showing. If such a plane lies between the observer and the face to be selected it can prevent selection. (ie, the plane intercepts and "steals" the selection)

If you hit "P", the display of all planes will toggle between ON and OFF.
  • Options
    kvdmolenpkvdmolenp Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I have the same problem. The "P" option doesn't solve my problem neither.

Perhaps there is a way to show all available faces and choose one from a list for example?
    Or choose "next face" and so browse through faces?

Thanks!
    Klaas
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    If something is between you and what you want to select (i.e. a line over an edge, a plane over a face, etc.) you can right click and then "Select other." This will give you a dialog to choose between any entity underneath where you right-clicked. This ay help.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.