Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

lofting two pipes together

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
I've used the pipe custom feature to create two different diameter pipes and am trying to connect them using a loft. While I can use edges to do a surface loft, I can't use the end faces of the pipe to do a solid loft. I get an error saying you can't use faces/regions with inner loops. Is there a way around this? Most of the related scenarios use some variation of lofting some blocks and then hollowing them out. Unfortunately, in my scenario, the awesome pipe tool is creating hollow pipes so I don't have a block to hollow.

Here's the doc. See the two lofts on the 90 deg elbow.  hydronics | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

Ultimately, I want to union all of these into one part and union can't mix solids and surfaces.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,511 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If the pipes are different wall thickness, then you will have to create a sketch on each pipe and loft a solid section, followed by a second loft to remove the center.
    You might also be able to create two surface lofts (one for in inside, one fore the outside) and use an "enclose" feature to crate a solid (using these two surfaces and the end faces of the pipes.

That said looking at your model I am not sure you need to do a loft when you could just extend the faces and blend them using chamfers/fillets.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There's usually lots of different ways to accomplish something in CAD. Here are 4 methods off the top of my head. The regen times don't seem to make much sense, but the simplest method for round pipes is to just revolve the connections.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/293ea40d717393ea3b840ac5/w/e09235d8b53f6c85272755aa/e/d5851f8f6548362d130e0587

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,511 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If the pipes are different wall thickness, then you will have to create a sketch on each pipe and loft a solid section, followed by a second loft to remove the center.
    You might also be able to create two surface lofts (one for in inside, one fore the outside) and use an "enclose" feature to crate a solid (using these two surfaces and the end faces of the pipes.

That said looking at your model I am not sure you need to do a loft when you could just extend the faces and blend them using chamfers/fillets.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There's usually lots of different ways to accomplish something in CAD. Here are 4 methods off the top of my head. The regen times don't seem to make much sense, but the simplest method for round pipes is to just revolve the connections.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/293ea40d717393ea3b840ac5/w/e09235d8b53f6c85272755aa/e/d5851f8f6548362d130e0587
  • Options
    jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Thanks @mahir and @eric_pesty. As I'm learning, lots of different ways of thinking of this. I had tried the inner and outer lofts but didn't click on `enclose`. Similarly, the power of `shell` did not really trigger for me. Great stuff. thanks again.