Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts losing mate connectors in assembly

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
In this assembly (hydronics | Assembly 1 (onshape.com)) I've inserted a couple instances of a 90 degree elbow part from a part studio in the same document. In the parts studio, the elbow part has 4 mate connectors, two at each end. When inserted into the assembly, there are only two connectors, both at one end. The connectors at the other end are not showing up. Have I done something wrong?

Best Answer

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

These mate connectors are assigned to a specific body during the pipe custom feature. In this case, they can't be re-assigned to a new body unless the standard mate connector feature is used.

Use the Mate connector feature to add mate connectors after the boolean so that they belong to the new part. Right Shift + Enter to accept and repeat the feature. Shift + ? to see keyboard shortcuts.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

These mate connectors are assigned to a specific body during the pipe custom feature. In this case, they can't be re-assigned to a new body unless the standard mate connector feature is used.

Use the Mate connector feature to add mate connectors after the boolean so that they belong to the new part. Right Shift + Enter to accept and repeat the feature. Shift + ? to see keyboard shortcuts.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks. I wonder why some of the connectors are retained but some go missing. In any event, I can add them to the part manually.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    @jeff_mcaffer
    Also note that depending what you are doing, you likely don't even need to create these mate connector as they are already available as "implicit" mate connectors at the assembly level (as far as I can tell they are just located at the end points of the cylindrical surface.

You only need to define explicit mate connectors when you need them in some "odd" position (not directly defined by geometry) or if using them for some Automation/Featurescript purposes.