Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it just me, or did Onshape suddenly get crazy slow a few weeks ago?

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 814 PRO
Very slow.  Everything loads slow.  Thumbnails come come in slow.  publications keep flashing and reloading.  Just all around crappiness.  Has something happened?  Am I alone in this?  Only thing I can think of it could be on my end is windows 10 updates are starting to try and force my perfectly fine computer into obsolescence?  That might just be me being paranoid though.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Answer ✓
    Hi @shawn_crocker. Sorry you are having issues. We have a lot of metrics and alerts around performance and we don't know of anything particularly bad or systemic. If thumbnails are coming in slowly, that suggests a network or client-side issue. Please open a support ticket and we'll see if we can find the cause.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.

Answers

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Answer ✓
    Hi @shawn_crocker. Sorry you are having issues. We have a lot of metrics and alerts around performance and we don't know of anything particularly bad or systemic. If thumbnails are coming in slowly, that suggests a network or client-side issue. Please open a support ticket and we'll see if we can find the cause.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    @john_rousseau
    Thank you.  I have had one open for a bit.  Just checking to see if this slowness is noticed by others.
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    What numbers have you been getting in the performance check recently? Mine is usually off the charts in the green and I have really fast internet, but I have noticed some random times where loading has been really slow for fairly simple things. It hasn't been predictable to send in a ticket for it, but I have noticed this before.

• Options
    @Rhett_Robinson
    Performance checks are always great for me.  Also off the chart but I think this check is more of a graphical test.  My symptoms feels like consistent restriction on bandwidth except I don't have any constriction and I am experiencing this sluggishness on my home computer as well.  I am suspicious of Microsoft to be honest.  It wouldn't be the first time an OS physically pushed people into new devices and software(apple).  I do feel an uncomfortable connection with a recent big windows 10 update.  But Onshape also had an update around this time as well so...
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,522 PRO
    @shawn_crocker
    Have you tried different browsers? With Onshape any changes in behavior are more likely related to browser version changes than Operating System updates...
    Believe it or not Edge on Windows is actually pretty good, like a "lightweight/barebones" version of Chrome with fewer features/addins that could cause slow-downs so worth a try.
  • Options
    Thanks @eric_pesty
    I have tried switching back to edge for a day but didn't notice a difference.  I think I will give it another try to be sure I just wasn't maybe feeling sour about the whole affair that day.
  • Options
    jahan_zaib_alijahan_zaib_ali Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Sharing my experience in the past couple of weeks, also have noticed a slowdown in opening assemblies and drawings. Publications on the other hand have been even slower.
  • Options
    @jahan_zaib_ali
    For me, anything more than 10 or 15 items in a publication starts to make the document really inefficient.  I think its because every time anything in the document changes, every single item starts reloading its thumbnails.  Maybe not ever change but it feel like almost ever time I do something, the document starts to hang up as it calls out again for a bunch of thumbnails to reload.  I do find thumbnails in general are very noticeably, loading in slower then I am used to.  I'm finding modals also load in there data slower.  opening a modal to edit an assembly items configuration I find slower then usual.  The window opens but the inputs seem to have to think a bit before loading in.
  • Options
    rick_sangerrick_sanger Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Yep - seems DOG SLOW (on chrome) for the past 3 or 4 weeks.  Windows 10, chrome AND edge
  • Options
    Sean_PhillipsSean_Phillips Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Its terrible. 
    The constant responses from OnShape are 
    "It's a bug - we will fix it"
    "It's functioning properly"
    "It's working correctly"
    But no one actually explains "WHY" we are having problems....
    OnShape is garbage.
  • Options
    @Sean_Phillips
    Wow!  Garbage?  I think not.  I do think we need to keep the pressure on when the system is going through a slow spell though.  Just to be sure Onshape knows the user experience is suffering.  I'm thinking slowness is not really grounds for bashing this extremely powerful system seeing as it is usually very fast.  I am often made aware of how fast it usually is when when I open up an old sold works version of a large assembly that has moved on into Onshape.  I don't find it is slow all the time it just goes through spells of slowness and I think threads like this allow people to feel like the slowness is more visible to others as well and their not alone.  I find it easy when it comes to slowness, for the issue to feel isolated to just me.  I do agree that Onshape sometimes doesn't make it clear what the slowness is.  It would be easier to pallet a spell of slowness if we new why it was happening.  For me, when everything else I am doing on the internet is remaining stable but only Onshape has gotten slow, it makes me feel like the servers or loaded up for some reason.  But not knowing for sure makes me feel like I am in a state of limbo.  If I start trying to more intensively test my computer setup and connection, I feel in the back of my mind that I am wasting my time because my gut is telling me its Onshape servers.  BTW, I am not experiencing the same slowness anymore and have not for a few months.
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    I found that there was a Windows Update that was overwriting our nVidia GPU application settings for "power saving" reasons Chrome was not using the GPU.

We had to go into Windows Graphics Settings to add Chrome as an exception.

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager