Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Make a copy

Hi all, newbie here so many questions to come.
I am working through the lessons and have just started the machine vice, when I click on open public document I get the notification that the document is view only but I do not get the option to make a copy, as shown in the instructions. What am I doing wrong this time, please?
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    If you have an enterprise account, you will need to switch to your personal account to get access to the copy function.
  • Options
    Martin_ChapmanMartin_Chapman Member Posts: 5
    Okay, will that not mean that my progress will not be visible to anyone else from the company? 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    Make sure you are looking at a workspace (e.g. "Main") and not a version. You can't copy a version.

If you are on an Enterprise account, your admin can control whether you can make copies of public documents at all. If you are on enterprise, and copying is allowed, the copy will show up in cad.onshape.com, not companyname.onshape.com. You can then transfer the document into the enterprise, where others could see it.

See the "Transferring Privately Owned Documents" in this Enterprise help page.
  • Options
    Martin_ChapmanMartin_Chapman Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, but how do I find who is the admin for our enterprise account?
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    You might not have an enterprise account. Do you log into cad.onshape.com or something like companyname.onshape.com? If it's the former, you're not on Enterprise.

But if you do, it's going to be someone at your company or institution. Someone who works at Onshape could look this up, but you should ask around at your company.
  • Options
    KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @Martin_Chapman
    can you send a screenshot of what it looks like? 
  • Options
    James_NewtonJames_Newton Member Posts: 2
    I'm having exactly the same problem as Martin, but on a different lesson: Introduction to Assembly Design: Assembly Interface: Exercise: Insert a part
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/introduction-to-assembly-design/assembly-interface/exercise-insert-a-part?page=2
    Where I am shown a preview of the public document with the "make a copy" text highlighted with a red arrow as shown here

and told to do the following:

When I try to follow the instruction, and click on this link:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/90a3408e518fea1d95267011/w/c99fc9367f337e5c149f3327/e/accb08ca0c3933e2d81752e6#_ga=2.209883157.1291502394.1676056063-847149065.1673997336
    I'm instead taken to this URL:
    https://mycompanyname.onshape.com/documents/90a3408e518fea1d95267011/w/c99fc9367f337e5c149f3327/e/accb08ca0c3933e2d81752e6?aa=true#_ga=2.240228355.1291502394.1676056063-847149065.1673997336
    (I've replaced my actual company name with "mycompanyname" here)

What I then see is this:

and there does NOT appear to be any way to make a copy of it. 

If I understand the advice above, it seems that I can't do the lessons in the company supplied account? YES / NO?
    And I'm instead supposed to have a personal account... which I don't believe I have... meaning that I will have to MAKE my own account? YES / NO?
    At which point, I would be doing the training inside the personal account and NOT in the company account? YES / NO?
    And so I would NOT be getting credit for doing the training with my company? YES / NO?

Does that really seem right to you? Is there no other way to import the public design? e.g. I can't down load it and then re-upload it to the company account? Really? 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    Hi @James_Newton - please speak with your system admin. He can point you to the training doc location within your company account.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    outstandingoutstanding Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    @James_Newton Please also realize that where you do the exercises does not affect (as far as I can tell) where the tutorial progress is tracked. One passes on the results as point-of-mass or dimension values.

Disclaimer: just learning; not an enterprise user myself
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    @asko_kauppi there can be certain restrictions on enterprise accounts (set by the admin) which makes this not possible.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI