Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make one part based off the gemetry of another part?

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
Okay so im making two parts that bolt together so some of my inside contours will be the shape of the other part. What's the best way to bring geometry over for another part? Should i somehow copy the entire part over in a part studio and project/convert everything i need onto a new sketch plane and extrude as needed or is there some other better way of going about this? I probably just answered my own question but curious to see what workflows everyone else might use to do this. Also anybody know how to duplicate one part to another part studio?
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Try using the derived feature 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5y3P8vs5fY
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    RMC on parts studio tab at bottom of page, copy to clipboard. Then go to your new document click on + sign bottom left and paste tab. Your old part studio will now be in your new document.
  • Options
    mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    thanks guys. I ended up just creating a new sketch plane and projecting what i wanted onto a sketch plane which worked even nicer than i expected since a lot of things were on different sketches I was able to project the contour all at once instead of grabbing parts from each individual sketch like i thought i was going to have to do.
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    robert_mandrellrobert_mandrell Member Posts: 1
    RMC on parts studio tab at bottom of page, copy to clipboard. Then go to your new document click on + sign bottom left and paste tab. Your old part studio will now be in your new document.
    I am a Solid Works user and I copy parts all the time to get started quickly on a similar part.  I used to use the "configurations" but they tend to cause problems in other areas so now I use all individual parts.  This is what I have been looking for that is close to just a "save as" and change some values in SW.  I had my new part made in a few seconds. - Thanks Peter