Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Continuity of Splines Video (and more)

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
edited December 2022 in General
This recent video (1 year in the making) is from Freya Holmér, who works in the game industry using Unity, but the math and information is universal. If you ever wanted to understand a bit more about Béziers vs B-Splines and G2 vs C2, this is great place to start.

There's some stuff about types of splines we do not have in Onshape (e.g. Catmull-Rom), but you will see that they're all related.

PS. I would also highly recommend these sources:
Curves and Surfaces by Bartosz Ciechanowski
A Primer on Bézier Curves by Pomax

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    roman_jurt190roman_jurt190 Member Posts: 32 EDU
    Thanks a Lot! definitely implement (some of) this into my industrial design CAD class! 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    For an ID CAD class, you might also want to look at some of the stuff in here from Autodesk Alias, especially the Golden rules section. Again, it's a different tool, but the basic math is the same. I've learned a lot from that, plus various Alias and Rhino tutorials on Youtube.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @S1mon Great stuff!  I have appreciated following your posts; thanks for sharing the references and especially the video by Freta.  I will be watching that multiple times!  What a beautiful explanation.  
    www.accuratepattern.com