Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Stuck with a variable + derived part

Hello

I have bumped into one problem which puzzles me a lot.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/497294dde6d7430daccb07c4/w/35ba91b8cf2c45b49165a3a1/e/fba4be4331de47d78cf99bfd

I have a cube and a connector, I use the latter one to create a slot on the cube's side.
It works really well, however when I change the cube's size by changing the #size variable the extrude command fails.

The plain which dissects the cube and the connector is still in place, and I expect the "Use (Project/Convert)" command
to resolve the changed connector's outline.

Any hints how to make it right are really appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 695
    @alexander_potochkin
    In Sketch3 notice that vertices are not constrained ( drawn in blue). Before changing variable constrain them to be coincident (dragging out and back in would snap)  then on variable change sketch would regenerate correctly. 
  • Options
    alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    @lana

For some reasons those dots got unconstrained when I changed the cube's size.
    (for me this looks like a bug)

Now there are no more lines or dots in blue, but it doesn't solve the problem.
    If I change the #size variable the extrude command fails.

For example if you try to change it to 75 the extrude command fails.
  • Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I can see why you are puzzeled. It does not make sense to me either. I think you should contact support and let them have a look at it.

At #size=50 everything looks right, although I don't understand what sketch 2 or plane 1 are for. If I take them out of the equation it still does not work right.
    One workaround is to only derive the sketch that you need, since it does not look like you are using the actual body. But ofcourse the workaround does not solve the actual problem
  • Options
    @joris_kofman

Thank you for looking at it, now I know that I am not missing anything obvious :-)

I derived the connector part from another tab and put it at the cube's side with a connector,
    I don't think that a derived sketch would work there.

To extrude the connector I dissect it with the plane1 and have its outline on sketch3,
    sketch2 is just a helper to illustrate the centre of the cube's side.

I'll contact the onshape support, thanks  a lot!
  • Options
    Request #8459 has been filed
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I derived the connector part from another tab and put it at the cube's side with a connector,
    I don't think that a derived sketch would work there.
    @alexander_potochkin

It seems to be a problem (bug?) for Onshape identifying the silhouette edge of the derived, revolved shape after a rebuild.
    You should definitely submit to support.

I did get a derived sketch to work, and it seems to handle resizing the cube OK

Here's the edited model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ae4ab8745e14857aefa5837/w/daa59de5d43a41b28399da47/e/553a5762fe9c4918826131c0

The key was to switch the outline of the left half of your revolve sketch which in your model looked like this :

from construction to solid, taking advantage of  Onshape's ability to work with any selected portion of the total encosed area of a sketch.:smile: 
    (I had to edit the revolve, and  reselect just the area shown shaded above)

• Options
    edited November 2015
    @alexander_potochkinThere is at a workaround to transform a sketch (pending Onshape providing the real thing) but the one I'm aware of is laborious :

Basically (to rotate selected entities in a sketch) it involves doing a Circular Pattern, dragging to cue Onshape that you want an "open" pattern (ie not a complete circle) and specifying the desired angle, and a total of two instances including the seed sketch, which is then changed to construction geometry. 

The other is the same idea, with a linear pattern, to translate entities.

An example of the rotate method is given in the "Powerful Workarounds" thread
  • Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    you could also create a surface from sketch 1 in connector studio and derive that surface. You could then transform that surface together with the solid and use that as the basis for the cut extrude
  • Options
    joris_kofman 
    Good point. Better still, if a surface was extruded far enough, it could simply be used drectly, to split the part.
  • Options
    @joris_kofman

Hello

I tried to convert the connector to a surface (hitting surface in the revolve command)
    and then I derived the service to the cube's studio.

Unfortunately it still doesn't survive a few size changes.
    The sketch that dissects the connector to get the extrude template gets broken.
    Some dots on it become undefined for no clear reasons.
  • Options
    Hello

The support answered to my request and offered a workaround similar to what @joris_kofman and @andrew_troup suggested.

Quote:

"Using the silhouette edge conversion is not as stable as we would like to see it. I just split the body and used the face for the profile. See here in this branch of your document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/497294dde6d7430daccb07c4/w/6933293970794981a4821d75/e/fba4be4331de47d78cf99b
    "

Splitting the part works well and I can go forward with my design now.
    However I do hope that the onshape team improve the edge conversion soon.

Thanks everyone!