Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can a linear feature pattern go across multiple parts in a part studio?

I brought in a step-file of a Solidworks assembly, and chose the "combine into single part studio" option. Cannot get into significant detail, but it is a large cylindrical vessel, the shell of which is broken into multiple pieces. I'm trying to create a linear pattern of features that will cross multiple parts, i.e. onto multiple pieces of the shell. You can see this shown below, i.e. a pattern that crosses from the gray piece to the blue piece (I currently have it accomplished with two different linear patterns). The linear pattern of features is not allowing this over multiple parts. Is there a way to do linear feature pattern across multiple parts in a part studio, or by another means?

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    You could make a 'cutting tool' part, pattern that, and then boolean cut with the 'cutting tool' parts (or boolean add if needed)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    @daniel_hasegawa For a feature pattern to work across multiple parts you'll need to do a couple things.
    1. Make sure the original features are set to the appropriate merge scope. The easiest way to do this is to check "Merge with all"

2. And if your pattern instances don't end up being exactly the same geometry, you'll probably need to check "Apply per instance" in the pattern dialog.
    That being said, it's generally considered best practice to use face and part patterns when feasible. They tend to be more robust.