Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

can anyone please help with this issue i seem to have?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/236555b8f0e57180e141651e/w/6df5db53a480f4cc0bace35d/e/c8c41772c06943d9720dc9b0?renderMode=0&uiState=63a2b2e2c4c79a246df1c07e have had trouble extruding this text. i cannot see why- this happens to me frequently - costing me large amounts of time , and i still cannot understand why WARNING : please donot take this as a massage to anyone that is willing to assit me  - this is just what a club member has asked if i can do on his bike.not to my taste at all - sick of looking at it just want job done.please assist.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    Wherever the text is coming from, it's been exported as zillions of small line segments (sometimes called a poly line), not splines. There are tons of small errors where the line endpoints are not coincident, and you're not going to be able to extrude this without a lot of clean up.

I would highly recommend going back to the source and figuring out better export settings.
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    I bet the source is Adobe Illustrator.
    Solution, export from Adobe as Ai or SVG
    Import in Inkscape, opensource 
    Export from Inkscape as DXF, there are a few option's to try.
    Good luck
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    It should be possible to export from Illustrator (or Inkscape if you don't have Illustrator) as DXF and get good results. You may need to experiment with the options.

In the past I would often need to ungroup and get rid of compound paths in Illustrator, and then export to AutoCAD DXF (not poly lines) with it set to not the latest version (I think 2005 or something).

I don't have Illustrator at the moment to test. As @dirk_van_der_vaart mentions, you can also use Inkscape to save as DXF.