Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improved performance in Australia and New Zeland

john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
Early this morning AU and NZ time, Onshape operations turned on our latest region in Australia. We now have added substantial compute resources in Sydney to support our rapidly growing user base in the region. You don't need to do anything to take advantage of the new computing power. https://cad.onshape.com will automatically send you to the new data center if it's close to you.

For users in the region you should immediately see improved modeling and drawing performance. As always, any feedback is welcome.  
John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Nice to see that "knife" is getting sharpened :)  @chrisjh777 Did you see this?  More importantly did you notice this?
  • Options
    brian_medlockbrian_medlock Member Posts: 6
    G'day from Australia and Yippee!!, speed was one of the few things I could pick fault with... you guys really are on the ball. Thanks.
  • Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I presume the Australian servers are located in Sydney?  If so, this is a great move.  

Just today I was pushing the Onshape wheelbarrow, recommending OS to a couple of Engineers at a trolley manufacturing facility here in Brisbane.  They are using a well known 2D drafting package.
  • Options
    labernlabern Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Well I haven't seen improved speed yet but most of my file wont open. Could this be due to a transfer to the data center?
  • Options
    It shouldn't have anything to do with the new data center. Please open a support ticket (from "Feedback" in Onshape) and make sure you describe exactly what you are seeing. We will take a look. Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    I'm not having any issues with them not opening anymore but Onshape is running so slow now here in NZ. Its rather frustrating. It takes a full minute to do a extrude.
    I have tried internet at home and work and both are the same.
  • Options
    labern - you should be seeing much better performance than this. Please open a support ticket so we can get this fixed for you. 
  • Options
    I see you are hitting several different data centers, some which are very far away from NZ. Have you configured a DNS server that's not in NZ? Perhaps one of the Google ones?
  • Options
    No I haven't, it maybe due to my ISP. I will look into it.