Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Workflow question - parts, assemblies etc.

leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
Hi, I'm a bit confused with how I should structure my parts and assemblies after running into an issue / limitation. I'll start with what I did and the problem I encountered. I am coming from Creo to help you understand my intentions. 

I created a part studio and created a "tank", I started to build a frame around this tank in the part studio. I created an assembly and added the contents of the part studio. I added some other components (moving). I went back to the part studio and added some extra parts to the frame. I was expecting the assembly to update but since discovered this is not how it works. 

So whats the best approach here? Even if I created the frame in a subassembly, if I wanted to go back and add a section to the frame in the part studio my subassembly isn't going to update. Do I then I have to insert the extra part from the part studio and mate it in the assembly? 

Thanks for your time and I hope I made that clear enough. 

Best Answer

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you insert the new parts from the part studio to the assembly. If it’s drawn in place, you can add it to the existing group in the assy. 

Think of it this way: your studio may contain 10 parts, but one assembly will use 7 of them, and another assembly will use 6 of them. This allows you the freedom to reuse parts in different assemblies at will. 

Answers

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you insert the new parts from the part studio to the assembly. If it’s drawn in place, you can add it to the existing group in the assy. 

Think of it this way: your studio may contain 10 parts, but one assembly will use 7 of them, and another assembly will use 6 of them. This allows you the freedom to reuse parts in different assemblies at will. 
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    Depending what you need in your top level (i.e. do you need a BOM of you "frame"?) you can also create a composite part (the "frame" tools do that when you do the cutlist) in your part studio and use that in your assembly.
    If you then add anything to the composite it will show up in the assembly.
  • leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO

Hi Nick, thanks for that. The part is indeed created in place. Is there an automatic way to add this new part to the assembly "in place" so to speak? 
  • leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Depending what you need in your top level (i.e. do you need a BOM of you "frame"?) you can also create a composite part (the "frame" tools do that when you do the cutlist) in your part studio and use that in your assembly.
    Hi Eric, so if I create a cutlist this will automatically turn the part studio into a composite part? 
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    leecasey said:
    Hi Eric, so if I create a cutlist this will automatically turn the part studio into a composite part? 
    The cutlist feature creates a composite part of the frames in the part studio yes. Note that it doesn't create a "closed" composite so the individual parts are still present in the part studio so you still have to insert the composite into your assembly (instead of the parts) but once you have done this any edits to parts forming the composite (or adding new parts to the composite) will be included. 
    It might be helpful to review the the composite part topic if you are not familiar with how they work.