Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Where is feature script source

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I thought of general questions, then I came across this forum. 

I am looking at the source for a FS, ThreadCreator, and most of the script is someplace else. Early on there is a "export import(path :" followed by a nice human readable name. Select it and it turns to a hex string along with version: followed by another hex string. I assume most of the source for the script is there. I assume the hex stuff is a location in onshape, along with a version. How, if I can, do I see it? I tried all I could think of, paste the hex into the URL, Google "onshape featurescript import". No joy. 

I want to be able to find stuff. This particular thing I want to make some changes to have threads better for 3D printing. 

I'm sorry for the noob question. I will go to a forum where I know move and answer 5 noob questions there. 

Comments

• Options
    xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    In this case I believe the export/import is purposely used so the source code is private.
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited January 2023

Welcome to the Onshape forums where people will not yell at you for posting in the wrong place B)

Here are some open source thread features by @sebastian_glanzner I believe: 
    External Thread
    Internal Thread

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @peter_williams653 Indeed, the author of this script has deliberately put his main code in a private document where it cannot be seen. The features Micheal posted are good public examples to follow.

Notably, the external thread feature in the Onshape standard library is also public, but it is not what you want: It doesn't model the thread! Good modeling practice for most applications means representing threads in hole tables and drawings but not creating 3D thread geometry in the model. This is great for any manufacturing process, except directly 3D printing full threads.

---

You also rightly point out that, even if the imported document were public, it is tricky to figure that out, and trickier to get from that import statement to the imported document! Right now you need to find a symbol imported from that document, (sometimes) wait for the bindings to load, and ctrl-click it. Stay tuned for an improved workflow here.