Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't delete mates or move parts in an assembly ?

glenn_pierceglenn_pierce Member Posts: 7
edited January 2023 in Community Support
I sure this is obvious with some more experience than I have.

I am trying to modify some parts in a larger assembly (Cloned from elsewhere). I can do this on some of the individual parts ok but
my issue though is with the mates in the assembly and propositioning of the parts.

For example in the assembly V6 Titan there is another called CoreXY Back and in there there is part DIN 912 M5 35 mm (A Bolt)

Is this a part or derived part ? How can I tell
and more importantly if I select it and try to move it just springs back. I am missing something obvious as the other bolt part moves.

I assume this is due to the mate connections. If I select mates though I am not
allowed to delete them at all or move them.

Any advice to get on the right track would appreciated.

The doc is at

Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It looks like the 'Mate' for the bolt is broken and needs re-fixing. To do this you need to return to the assembly that it originates in i.e. CoreXY Back. Once at the sub-assembly (CoreXY Back) press 'J' on the keyboard to show all mates, the broken mate will be in red, Right click on the red mate and select edit to fix the missing mate connector. Once back in the Top Assembly you should see the bolt moving with the unit.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    It looks like the 'Mate' for the bolt is broken and needs re-fixing. To do this you need to return to the assembly that it originates in i.e. CoreXY Back. Once at the sub-assembly (CoreXY Back) press 'J' on the keyboard to show all mates, the broken mate will be in red, Right click on the red mate and select edit to fix the missing mate connector. Once back in the Top Assembly you should see the bolt moving with the unit.
  • Options
    Thanks that worked on that one.
    There is one more issue .

On the CoreXY back piece there is another part "M3 Hex nut <7>"
    that I want to move but I cant go into that assembly. If I select edit in context I get 
    "You are not authorized to access this resource. "

Not sure why. Any way around that. ?

• Options
    The nut<7> is mated to the hexagonal hole. If you look at the back and press J to show all mates you'll see the nut mate in question. You can right click on the mate and delete or re-assign
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    tate_isaacstate_isaacs Member Posts: 3
    Thanks this helped me too, had to look in my sub assembly to delete the part I wanted to