Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

what would be the best way to split a part along sketch lines

ol_loool_loo Member Posts: 8
So, i have a part which is problematic for injection because it has undercuts. I want to split it along the sketch line, up to where i added a red line, in the direction of the arrow. That way i would end up with two parts without undercut. I tried to use the split tool but it does not allow me to select the sketch line as guide and i have nowhere to precise where the split should stop, so obviously i am doing it wrong. Does anyone have a clue on how i should do this split?

Best Answer

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Create a surface and use that as the "entity to split with".
    One way to do this is to extrude your sketch as a new solid, then create a zero offset surface from the faces of the resulting solid. You can then delete the extra solid if you want it gone.

Here's an example (it's not obvious but the "offset surfaces uses 5 of the 6 faces of "extruded2"):

Answers

• Options
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Create a surface and use that as the "entity to split with".
    One way to do this is to extrude your sketch as a new solid, then create a zero offset surface from the faces of the resulting solid. You can then delete the extra solid if you want it gone.

Here's an example (it's not obvious but the "offset surfaces uses 5 of the 6 faces of "extruded2"):

• Options
    OK i see, but i could not achieve it with the split tool, no really clear how to make a proper surface in my case. I finally created a solid of 0.1mm wich was the space required between the two parts and used boolean operation, it worked fine.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why it wasn't working for you. If you share a model I can take a look.
    The way I created the surface in the examples was just by creating a block first (Extrude2) and creating an "offset surface" (with the offset value set to 0) from it by selecting all the faces of my block except the one facing "outside".
  • Options
    Thank you for the kind offer, it is fine now tehre is no need, boolean operation worked worked fine and i had a lot of other changes to make on this design (which was not mine) here is the final version for the sake of completeness.

• Options
    Glad you got it working