Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to duplicate a model and its associated drawing?

murray_1murray_1 Member Posts: 19
I've created a model of a pull stud and a fully dimensioned drawing for it. I now want to create a slightly longer variant of it - and a dimensioned drawing for that too. It's easy enough to duplicate the model but how do I duplicate the associated drawing? I don't want to have to create the drawing all over again.

In the model tab right click menu there is the "duplicate" option but this doesn't exist in the equivalent drawing tab menu. I'd imagined copying the first drawing and redefining the source - or possibly being able to duplicate both the model and the drawing together.

Is this operation possible? It needs to be but I can't see how it might be done.

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @murray_1 Off the top of my head.... Copy the workspace.  Then change the items you need to change in that copy.  Will that work for you?

• Options
    Yes, that works, although I was hoping to end up with them all in the same workspace - uses up another precious document allocation otherwise. 

Although I can copy one of the model tabs to the clipboard and thence into the other workspace with its friend, I can't do the same for the drawing tab. Can I get them into the same workspace? 
  • Options
    And annoyingly, the "my documents" preview for the short pull stud is actually showing the long pull stud - ie what it looked like before I shortened it. I can't seem to refresh or update the preview. Tried diving in and out of the document, logging off and on but to no avail.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @murray_1 This is something that is absolutely needed thanks for bringing this to light.
  • Options
    stephen_lewin_berlinstephen_lewin_berlin Onshape Employees Posts: 20
    How about creating a branch, then editing the part in the new branch? Then, update the drawing in the new branch to get the geometry changes.
  • Options
    @stephen_lewin_berlin I suppose that would work but what should I do with the other 100 tabs that got created as part of that branch? Or how can I get my modified part and drawing moved back into the main branch without removing  the original?
  • Options
    I guess it depends how you intend to use the two variations. There isn't currently a mechanism that lets you copy the drawing and models it references between workspaces, so you would have to manage the two parts/drawings in the different branches. I do take your point that Onshape doesn't have a "duplicate" option on the drawing tab. If you want the variations in the same branch, you need to create a new drawing.
  • Options
     I do take your point that Onshape doesn't have a "duplicate" option on the drawing tab.
      Thanks, is this something that is being considered?
  • Options
    I suggest logging an improvement request - this is on a general list of feature requests, but we do take into account which features users upvote when we schedule work.