Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Documentation for opCreateOutline

kenn_sebesta167kenn_sebesta167 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
I learned that there is a neat feature, `opCreateOutline`. However, I cannot find any documentation on it. It isn't listed in https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html, and there are only a smattering of results on google. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is this functionality not documented?

The specific reason I am looking is because I want to know if opCreateOutline preserves the original `z` value (where `z` is orthogonal to the projection plane), but in general I would like to know if there are many undocumented FeatureScript operations, or if I'm simply always looking in the wrong spot.

Comments

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 275
    edited January 2023
    That function is internal and thus undocumented - you can consult the comments in the standard library over yonder: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/w/a855e4161c814f2e9ab3698a/e/ddbe7e9c67ca4a44935354fa

Being undocumented, it's a use-at-your-own-risk deal.
  • Options
    kenn_sebesta167kenn_sebesta167 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    _anton said:
    That function is internal and thus undocumented - you can consult the comments in the standard library over yonder: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/w/a855e4161c814f2e9ab3698a/e/ddbe7e9c67ca4a44935354fa

Being undocumented, it's a use-at-your-own-risk deal.
    Hmmmm, there's not a whole lot going on there:

/**
     * @internal
     * Generates surfaces representing the outlines of parts or surfaces projected onto a surface
     * @param id : @autocomplete `id + "createOutline1"`
     * @param definition {{
     *      @field tools {Query} : The tool parts or surfaces
     *      @field target {Query} : The face whose surface will be used to create outline.
     *              Currently only planes, cylinders or extruded surfaces are supported.
     *      @field offsetFaces {Query} : @optional Faces in tools which are offsets of target face. If `offsetFaces` are
     *              provided, the operation will fail if `target` is non-planar and there are not exactly two offset faces per tool.
     * }}
     */
    export const opCreateOutline = function(context is Context, id is Id, definition is map)
    {
        return @opCreateOutline(context, id, definition);
    };

It would be nice if it would define the outputs as well as the inputs. Well, thanks for the tip anyway!