Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

My 3D Printed Peristaltic Pump

frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Hi Onshape and fellow users.

I designed a peristaltic pump using Onshape. I 3D printed it using a Ultimaker2 printer, and other parts include some ball bearings, flexible tubing, a DC motor gearbox, and some circuitry. It's purpose is to pump blended food into a person's feeding tube when they cannot physically eat, it was built for my grandfather while he was treating esophagus cancer.

Check it out here: 
http://www.bocabearings.com/innovation-contest/ContestantDetails.aspx?ProjectID=221

It is entered into the Boca Bearings Innovation Contest. If you like it, please give me a vote. Thanks.

The project is CAD'ed on Onshape, while I was in China, using the 4G network and I also had to hop through a VPN service (I think AWS was blocked), on a Microsoft Surface tablet. I think it's a pretty good testament to the usefulness of cloud CAD. The public Onshape workspace is linked here.

Comments

• Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    That is fantastic.  Really awesome to see a direct implementation of OnShape like this.  I had to play around with peristaltic pumps at my previous job at a medical assay manufacturer, they're neat contraptions.  Great work on the model and functional real world application too.
  • Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    fantastic, this may be the first time that I actually see somebody make something truely useful with these newfangled 3D printers at home
  • Options
    jlieberjlieber Onshape Employees Posts: 4
    This is great!  Thank you for sharing your story and the model.

Johnathen
    Johnathen Lieber
    Team Member
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Thanks everybody

It's really not hard to find useful things that can be 3D printed. You just need the right opportunities. The bracket on the back of my car that holds my rear view camera is 3D printed. The thing that holds my phone and Qi charger together is 3D printed. My keyboard is tilted forward with a stand that's 3D printed. My PS4 is modded with a 3D printed dock for hard drives, and the hard drives have 3D printed cases that look like NES cartridges.

I hope I'm inspiring people.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @f@frank26080115 ,Awesome work :)
  • Options
    christopher_gandychristopher_gandy Member Posts: 3
    Great work.