Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How long is simulation supposed to take??

Trying simulation for the first time this evening, on what i would assume is very basic FEA. 4 Beams Supporting 2 planks, with a load on each plank, (think footbridge)

15min in and its not even 1/4 of the way complete. 

the tutorials make it seem way faster than this. Am I messing something up?

Best Answer

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    Answer ✓
    The technology and approach we are using for Onshape Simulation is not designed (or suited) for extremely thin/high aspect ratio structures. While it may be a "very basic FEA problem" for textbooks, such problems are not the focus area for us - rather, we are tuned for models where 3D solid elements are appropriate. Abstracted elements (e.g. shell, and beam) are not available, even though many very basic FEA textbook problems might best be solved with them.

You'll see more focus on supporting assembly connections, for example.

Shameless plug: I will be hosting, along with Chris Gromek, a session at the upcoming Onshape Live conference (March 1st/2nd) on the topic of Onshape Simulation, so I encourage everyone to sign up - we'll be covering this topic for sure.

PS: if you want to share a link to your document, I can provide more specific comments and suggestions.

Answers

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    Answer ✓
    The technology and approach we are using for Onshape Simulation is not designed (or suited) for extremely thin/high aspect ratio structures. While it may be a "very basic FEA problem" for textbooks, such problems are not the focus area for us - rather, we are tuned for models where 3D solid elements are appropriate. Abstracted elements (e.g. shell, and beam) are not available, even though many very basic FEA textbook problems might best be solved with them.

You'll see more focus on supporting assembly connections, for example.

Shameless plug: I will be hosting, along with Chris Gromek, a session at the upcoming Onshape Live conference (March 1st/2nd) on the topic of Onshape Simulation, so I encourage everyone to sign up - we'll be covering this topic for sure.

PS: if you want to share a link to your document, I can provide more specific comments and suggestions.
  • Options
    phil_erdley628phil_erdley628 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Thank you for the insight. Onshape support is adding this to the improvement ticket for the thick/thin problem you described. 

T