Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Desired intersection

michal_bartakmichal_bartak Member Posts: 17
Maybe I'm nitpicking, especially since I'm really a beginner/amateur and such information is not somehow crucial. Just asking because of pure curiosity.

When assembling, sometimes an intersection might be desired. For example holes for threaded inserts have to be a bit smaller than the diameter of the insert. Another example is some models which have details not modeled exactly (threads or so). In both cases comping two parts together (hole+insert, bolt+nut) results in the intersection warning.

Does onShape provides any method to indicate: "hey, there is everything right with this intersection" ? What is the advised workflow for that cases?

The image bellow shows the threaded insert colliding with the base object as well as with the bolt (both the insert and the bolt have no thread modeled)

With regards

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,512 PRO
    Not quite what you are asking but related: if you use the fasteners from the "standard content" they are automatically ignored (but you have the option to use the checkbox in the interference detection dialogue to include them).
    One thing that is missing is the ability to flag parts you created (or downloaded) as "standard content", I think there's an improvement request somewhere where this is discussed... 
  • Options
    michal_bartakmichal_bartak Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Eric.

So should I consider there is no such a feature in onShape at all? 
    So every time we model parts being molded into each other we have to accept an intersection warning?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,512 PRO
    Thanks Eric.

So should I consider there is no such a feature in onShape at all? 
    So every time we model parts being molded into each other we have to accept an intersection warning?
    Essentially yes... You can de select the fasteners in question when doing an interference check if you want to "check the rest" without the clutter.
    A couple shortcuts for this would be use the assembly tree filter to hide them first then box select in the graphics area for the interference detection.
    You could also consider a configuration checkbox to suppress them when you want to do a check.